Lamb Shank in Tomato Sauce
Braised Lamb Shank in Tomato Sauce
- 2(12-ounce) (or two 1½ pound) lamb shanks
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano*
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
*Or substitute for the seasoned tomatoes:
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes and their juice (cut into small pieces)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt, if the canned tomatoes are unsalted
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add a small amount of olive oil, just to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Season the lamb with the ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Put the lamb in the hot pot and brown on the first side for about 4 minutes.
- Turn the lamb over and brown the second side for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and add the minced garlic. Stir and sauté for about 15 seconds.
- Add the wine, stirring to bring up any browned bits. Cook for about 2 minutes.a
- Stir in the tomatoes (along with the seasonings if you are using unseasoned tomatoes) and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pan. Spoon some of the sauce over it. Cover and reduce the heat so it is simmering. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn the lamb over and spoon some sauce over it. Simmer for 1 – 1½ hours more until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the meat to a plate and cover with foil.
- Skim some of the fat off of the sauce. Bring the sauce to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes, until it is reduced a bit and thickened.
- Return the lamb to the sauce and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until it is heated.
- Stir in the parsley and serve over mashed potatoes
Bacon Wrapped Filet Mignon INGREDIENTS 4 Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon, 2 inches thick 4 to 8 Slices of Applewood bacon 3 tbsp. Coarse sea salt 3 tbsp. Freshly ground black pepper 2 tbsp. Dried Onion flakes Compound Butter 16 oz. Butter, softened 2 tbsp....read more
Grilled T-Bone Steak with Roasted Peppers Confit and Herby Zaatar Sauce INGREDIENTS Steaks 2 T-Bone Steaks 1 cup extra virgin olive oil ¾ cup soy sauce ½ lemon juice 1/3 cup Worchester sauce 1/3 cup Maille traditional Dijon mustard 6 cloves of garlic Fresh...read more
Pan Fried Pork Cutlets Seasoned with Herbs and Boiled Baby Potatoes INGREDIENTS 4 ½-inch- thick bone-in pork chops (about 2 pounds), patted dry with paper towels Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper 1 teaspoon sugar, divided 2 tablespoons plus ¼ cup olive...read more